Perhaps you’ve been following a few popular lifestyle blogs for a while. Or maybe you just heard about this trend and you’re starting to think about setting up your own blog.
Blogging can be a lot of fun, and if you have great tips, ideas, and tutorials to share with the world, you’ll love establishing yourself in the lifestyle niche.
So, here’s how to build a lifestyle blog that’s unique and successful.
The Best Way To Make A Lifestyle Website
Bar none, the best way to make a lifestyle website is with the WordPress platform.
Before you do anything else, you’ll want to create a hosting account with JustHost*. You’ll need to: 1) register a domain name, and 2) get a hosting plan to get your website set up.
As far as installing WordPress, it’s generally a one click process with most hosts, making it extremely simple.
For next steps (and more details on the above), you’ll want to refer to our guide on building your website with ease. It covers everything from purchasing your domain name and hosting to getting set up with the right WordPress plugins. Or if you’re more a visual learner, this video will help:
Once WordPress is installed, you’ll want to pick a suitable theme for your blog. The theme dictates your site’s design and functionality, so it’s important to pick carefully. While there are some decent free themes out there, many are easily broken and do not have the kind of functionality you’re ultimately going to want. It’s better to pay a little upfront for your theme and be happy with it than to struggle, wrestle, and finagle your theme into doing what you want it to do.
So, which theme should you get? I’ve got three suggestions for you. Let’s look at the top three lifestyle blog themes for WordPress.
* Disclosure: If you go on to buy hosting through my Justhost link, I get a commission from it. This doesn’t affect the price you pay, nor is it the reason I recommend this hosting company. I recommend it because I use them to host many of my websites, and they’re the best value hosting company for new websites.
Top 3 Lifestyle Blog Themes For WordPress Users
Which theme should you install on your WordPress site?
There are a few things to think about here – your budget, your design preferences, and what functionality you require.
Fortunately, there are a lot of low-cost, highly customizable themes out there. Here are the top three themes for WordPress users.
1. Minnosh – Personal & Lifestyle Blog
The Minnosh theme offers a nice, clean, magazine style layout – perfect for the visual content you’ll surely be filling your blog with. It’s set up to help you grow your social media following and show off your content. It’s also set up to make it easy for visitors to navigate through different topics of interest on your site.
It offers 24/7 support, is 100% responsive, has light and dark versions, five header and three footer layouts, custom typography, is SEO optimized, and much more.
2. Trendion | Personal Lifestyle Blog And Magazine
The Trendion theme is another perfect fit for lifestyle bloggers, as the design is clean and simple and stays out of the way of the content. With social media icons and a subscribe button in the header, you’re sure to attract a big following in no time.
This theme is optimized for mobile, is SEO ready, features a drag and drop page builder, has two homepage layouts built in, supports multiple languages, comes with Google Fonts, and more.
3. Noemi – Lifestyle & Fashion Blog
Noemi is a highly stylized theme for lifestyle and fashion bloggers. You’re sure to get lots of clicks on your content with this minimal and attractive theme.
Noemi comes with over 10 blog layouts, various header options, two footer options, 600+ Google Fonts, custom color scheme, responsive design, and much more.
What Are Some Categories You Can Cover On A Lifestyle Blog?
Lifestyle blogs tend to cover a variety of topics depending on the individual running it and their expertise.
There is no right or wrong way to go about building your lifestyle blog. But it is important to share on topics you know well and can bring your personality and originality to.
If you’re stuck, here are several categories to consider.
Many lifestyle bloggers cover fashion, both male and female.
Some people like to show how you can easily put together a hat or a top (i.e. DIY). Others like to give recommendations and tips on what to wear, whether it’s suits or shorts.
People love to travel. It’s something many people hold as an aspiration, but either don’t feel they can afford or can’t get away from their job. But they can still live vicariously through you if you take pictures and videos from around the world and share them with your audience.
It could be said that beauty and fashion go together, though they are two entirely different topics, since beauty tends to focus on product – lipstick, eyeliner, blush, and so on.
Food is another popular topic with lifestyle bloggers. If you love making food and can offer tips or make suggestions, you may enjoy sharing your personal recipes with the world.
Lifestyle bloggers also tend to cover topics like design, DIY projects, exercise and health, and a great deal more.
Single Author Lifestyle Website, Or Multi Author One?
Many lifestyle bloggers essentially build themselves into their own brand. So, practically every picture and video on their website features them prominently.
Once you’ve established yourself in this manner, it can be hard to change direction later. Your audience will become familiar with your posting style and will eagerly await your next blog post or Instagram photo.
Plus, it’s your voice. No one knows your brand better than you do, so having others publish on your website might cause confusion among your visitors.
Many of the most popular lifestyle blogs are ran by individuals rather than many authors. But that doesn’t mean it’s always a good idea to start a single author website. There are pros and cons to both single author and multi-author arrangements.
One important consideration is how often you can realistically publish as an individual. If there are many authors contributing to the site, it’s much easier to keep a steady stream of content coming. Plus, it makes it easier to cover many topics. You might be able to touch on categories that are outside of your expertise.
But one downside to a multi-author blog might be the cost. Unless you have some best friends willing to write for free, there’s a good chance you will need to pay others to produce content for you.
The good news is you can start your blog as a single author blog and upgrade to a multi-author one later. Certainly, you don’t want to lose your voice, but it’s nice to know the option is there if you change your mind later. So, starting as a single author website is probably the least risky option.
4 Beautiful Lifestyle Blogs Which Definitely Have A Big Following
Though you should never copy what others are doing verbatim, it is a good idea to take inspiration from successful bloggers and see what they’re doing right. This can spark ideas of your own, and help you grow your following faster.
Here are three lifestyle blogs that have a big following, and are worth a look:
- 2 Cats and Chloe: Susan is the author of 2 Cats and Chloe, a clean and simple lifestyle blog discussing healthy food, travel, décor, DIY projects, and more. The blog was named not after the author but her dog, Chloe, and the two cats she owns. As with most lifestyle blogs, you’ll see links to follow her social profiles in the sidebar, and Instagram photos in the footer. Susan demonstrates the importance of visual content and keeping your visitors engaged with pictures and videos.
- A Pair And A Spare: A Pair And A Spare was founded by designer Geneva Vanderzeil. The site covers style, interiors, creativity, living, and travel. It’s a great example of how to set up a lifestyle blog, with simple navigation, subscribe and social media buttons and a search function at the top. The footer is also worth studying, as a surprising number of website visitors will go straight to the footer to find what they’re looking for.
- That Sister: That Sister is a lifestyle website that is aimed at black women specifically. It covers African America related food, hairstyle advice, entertainment and more. It’s a multi author blog, so there isn’t one main woman writing all the articles. The home page is really well set up so have a look at that for inspiration.
- Amelia Liana: Another attractive blog with a big following. 23-year-old Amelia Liana is the founder of the eponymous blog, which covers beauty, fashion, food and home décor. The way her Instagram photos are arranged in the footer is particularly noteworthy and might even be worth emulating on your blog.
How To Build A Unique And Successful Lifestyle Blog Conclusion
Above all, find your voice and create a brand.
It can be hard to stand out in the lifestyle niche. But if you can put your own spin on it, you’re more likely to be successful. Especially if you promote your lifestyle site correctly.
Don’t be afraid to be yourself. The best way to attract an audience is by showing and being who you already are.